Did you know?
- Water damage is the second-most frequently filed homeowners claim.
- Water damage is 5x more likely than theft, and 6x more likely than fire.
- One in 50 insured homes file a water damage or freezing claim each year.
- The average cost of a claim due to water damage or freezing is $9,633.
- 68% of water backup claims cost more than $5,000.
- 35% of water backup claims cost more than $10,000
- 250 gallons of water per day can leak from a 1/8-inch pipe crack.
How to protect your home:
- Know where the main water shut off valve is located, so it can be shut it off quickly in case of an emergency.
- Monitor the water bill. A bigger water bill may indicate a water leak exists.
- Replace the rubber hoses on washing machines, dishwashers and other water-related appliances periodically. Steel-braided hoses increase durability and longevity.
- Test sump pumps at least once per year. If the pump doesn’t have an alternate power source, add a battery backup or upgrade to a pump with a water-powered backup.
- Clean gutters and downspouts regularly to ensure water moves through them properly and drains away from the home’s foundation.
- Inspect the water heater annually for signs of corrosion or leaks. Aging water heaters can weaken over time, increasing their likelihood of rupturing.
- Install a Water Leak Detection system.