Nationwide’s mobile app telematics plan.
How Does SmartRide Work?
Once your agent has signed you up you are sent a link by text to download the free SmartRide app to all driver’s smartphones. Every driver then activates the app by completing a trip and confirming that they were the driver. This starts your 85 days of participation. During your participation, you will be able to see a dashboard in the app that shows the discount you are each on track to earn.
Nationwide applies a 10% participation discount for the entire first policy term which is typically 12 months. By participating you are given the opportunity to earn up to a 40% discount. Each driver earns a discount during the 85 days which is then averaged between all drivers for a final discount. That final averaged discount is applied at the next renewal to all vehicles on the policy.
You will be able to log in to the SmartRide portal to see how you are doing.
The specific driving behaviors measured by SmartRide are:
- Hard Braking/ Accelerating
- Night-time driving
- Idle Time
The average discount earned by their customers is 21%.
- SmartRide rewards policyholders for their safe driving habits even if they are frequent drivers.
- It is a simple way to save on your premium without installing a device in their vehicle. By using a smartphone app and not needing to plug a device into a vehicle policyholders with older vehicles can participate.
- The monitoring of your driving is temporary. Completing the program takes only 85 days.
- Each driver is not required to have their own email address because the link to register is sent via text.
- There is a 10% participation discount applied for the entire first policy term.
- Earn up to a 40% discount for safe driving. The average earned discount is 21%.
- There is no surcharge for poor driving and the discount lasts for the life of the policy.
- Because it has been shown to improve participants long term driving habits it can be a great tool for parents to use with their teenage children to help them develop safer driving habits.
- The app must remain installed and active with certain settings enabled during the 85 days of participation.
- All drivers must participate. The discount is calculated for each driver on the policy and is then averaged for the final earned discount that is applied to all vehicles on the policy.
- All drivers must have a compatible smartphone with GPS location capabilities. iPhone: 5s or newer, iOS 10 or higher. Android running minimum OS 5.0 or higher.
- The first trip must be confirmed to successfully complete the activation process
Need an insurance quote? Get in touch!
Access quotes from some of the Pacific Northwest's most trusted insurance carriers. It's comparison shopping at the click of a mouse.