SmartRide and SmartMile
Because Two Is Better than One
SmartRide. Nationwide’s mobile app telematics plan.
How Does SmartRide Work?
Once your agent has signed you up you are sent a link by text to download the SmartRide app to all driver’s smartphones. Every driver then activates the free app by completing a trip and confirming that they were the driver. This starts your 85 days of participation. During your participation, you will be able to see a dashboard in the app that shows the discount you are each on track to earn.
Nationwide applies a 10% participation discount for the entire first policy term which is typically 12 months. By participating you are given the opportunity to earn up to a 40% discount. Each driver earns a discount during the 85 days which is then averaged between all drivers for a final discount. That final averaged discount is applied at the next renewal to all vehicles on the policy.
- Hard Braking/ Accelerating
- Night-time driving
- Idle Time
Nationwide is indicating that the average discount earned by their customers is 21%.
- SmartRide rewards policyholders for their safe driving habits even if they are frequent drivers.
- It is a simple way to save on your premium without installing a device in their vehicle. By using a smartphone app and not needing to plug a device into a vehicle policyholders with older vehicles can participate.
- The monitoring of your driving is temporary. Completing the program takes only 85 days.
- Each driver is not required to have their own email address because the link to register is sent via text.
- There is a 10% participation discount applied for the entire first policy term.
- Earn up to a 40% discount for safe driving. The average earned discount is 21%.
- There is no surcharge for poor driving and the discount lasts for the life of the policy.
- Because it has been shown to improve participants long term driving habits it can be a great tool for parents to use with their teenage children to help them develop safer driving habits.
- The app must remain installed and active with certain settings enabled during the 85 days of participation.
- All drivers must participate. The discount is calculated for each driver on the policy and is then averaged for the final earned discount that is applied to all vehicles on the policy.
- All drivers must have a compatible smartphone with GPS location capabilities. iPhone: 5s or newer, iOS 10 or higher. Android running minimum OS 5.0 or higher.
- The first trip must be confirmed to successfully complete the activation process
SmartMile. Nationwide’s Pay-Per-Mile Program
A Pay-Per-Mile program is ideal for consumers who drive less than the average driver. Such as people who live close to work, work from home, use public transportation, or have an extra car that is rarely driven. This program offers the same coverage as a traditional auto policy but with a monthly premium based on the actual number of miles driven.
How does the pricing work on a Pay-Per-Mile plan?
The premium consists of two parts: the base premium and the variable rate (cost-per-mile) premium.
If you are interested in seeing if it is a good fit for you then ask your agent to quote you. The quote will use what you estimate your annual miles on each vehicle to be and will show you the base fixed rate for each vehicle and an estimated monthly charge based on estimated miles. It will also indicate what the cost per mile for each vehicle is.
If you decide the plan is right for you and you start the policy and pay for one month. That first or initial payment is determined by adding the base fixed rate and the estimated cost per mile charge. After the effective date of the policy Nationwide mails you the telematics device(s) for all vehicles you enrolled in SmartMile. Keep in mind the vehicle must be 1996 or newer and be device compatible to be enrolled. Once received you have 5 days to plug the device into all enrolled vehicle’s diagnostic ports (OBD-II port).
The device(s) will start monitoring miles driven meaning all the future monthly deductions will be based on actual miles driven. Here is an example using made-up numbers. Your base rate is $50 and the per-mile charge is $0.0690 per mile. You had estimated you drive 500 miles per month. However, in one month you drive only 300 miles. (300 X 0.0690=$20.70) ( 50 base +20.70(per mile charge)= $70.70). You were expecting to pay about $84.50 (500 estimated miles x .0690= 34.50) ( $50 base rate+ $34.50 estimated cost per mile=$84.50)
So what happens if you decide to take a road trip? The good news there is a road trip exception and only the first 250 miles count on a single day.
This program also offers the opportunity to earn up to a 10% discount for safe driving behaviors. The discount is then applied at the next policy renewal.
The driving behaviors that are used to determine the safe driving discount are:
- Hard Braking/ Accelerating
- Nighttime driving
- Number of stops (on each trip)
That earned discount is then applied at the next renewal. You will be able to log into the SmartMile portal at any time to see how you are doing and to keep track of mileage and your monthly payments.
- Same coverage but lower pricing than traditional auto policies for consumers who drive less than the average driver.
- Ideal for older drivers whose rates have increased due to their age but drive very little.
- Pay as you go for what you actually use or drive.
- Opportunity to be rewarded with a 10% discount for safe driving behaviors.
- The telematics device(s) remain plugged into your vehicle(s) for the policy duration. So you are always monitored.
- Not all vehicles qualify. The vehicle must be 1996 or newer and be device compatible to be enrolled.
- The discounts only apply to enrolled vehicles.
- Billing needs to be set up on monthly automatic deduction from checking or recurring credit card because the monthly charges based on miles driven can be accurately adjusted each month.
- The policy is required to be set up on paperless delivery. You must agree to enroll in electronic billing and policy documents.
Need an insurance quote? Get in touch!
Access quotes from some of Washington's most trusted insurance carriers. It's comparison shopping at the click of a mouse.